Special Religious Education (SRE or Scripture)
Picture walking into a classroom full of children who have never heard about Jesus and taking a government-endorsed half hour to tell them all about Him! Scripture provides an excellent opportunity to take the living and active word of God to children throughout our city. As Jesus said in Matthew 9:37, the harvest is ready! Students are hungry and eager to hear God’s word!
NSW is one of the few states in Australia with legislation that supports Scripture. Schools are an open door to the gospel. A Scripture Teacher is not just a teacher, but a government-endorsed evangelist! Scripture also presents an excellent opportunity to connect with schools, children and whole families.
Research reinforces that ministry to children is an effective and powerful way to grow the Kingdom!
- Primary school children, those aged 5-12 years are NINE times more likely to accept Christ as their Saviour than people 12 years and above.
- 60 – 80% of all salvation decisions are made by children under the age of 15.
- 75% of adults in church today, responded to Jesus as a child
- Watch this youtube clip
We have some fantastic Primary School Scripture Teachers and High School Board Members already making an impact. However, there are approximately 6,000 Primary School and 6,500 High School students in the schools within 5km of our church building! We need to make the most of every opportunity (Colossians 4:5). There is still a huge need and many, many classes in Newcastle are without a Scripture teacher. Let’s be faithful with this fantastic open door we have been given (Luke 16:10)!
If you feel stirred about reaching the next generation and influencing our city for the Kingdom of God through scripture, there are many different ways that you be involved!
See hearts softened, doors open and lives changed by praying for our Scripture team, the children, their families & the teachers that they connect with each week. A prayer points resource is available so you can pray for specific areas. Contact us if you would like it emailed or posted to you.
Primary School Scripture Teacher
Answer the prayer for more workers in the harvest by becoming a Primary School Scripture Teacher and partnering with us in reaching local children and families with the good news of Jesus. We encourage our teachers to teach close to their home. Please contact us if you are interested so we can link you in to watch a class in a school near you!
What’s involved in teaching Scripture?
• It is a surprisingly simple process, you are provided with curriculum (a book of lesson plans and activity books for the whole class). Each week you bring a different message from the Bible to these children.
• Most often, the class teacher stays in the room and will help with class management.
• Our experienced scripture teachers or children’s ministry team are happy to help you with tips of how to keep the classes attention. The children you are reaching are so open to hearing the message you bring and so excited to see you!
• There are several training opportunities throughout the year
• Support is also provided through Scripture team meetings x 2 per year and church prayer x 2 per year.
How do I get started?
1. Watch some classes in action with one of our C3 Victory Scripture teachers to see what it’s like!
2. Share this class with the teacher, prepare and teach part of the lesson
3. When you feel ready, you can teach your own class! You will be provided with curriculum (a book of lesson plans and activity books for the whole class). Each week you will bring a different message from the Bible to these children.
• Partner with another teacher, share child minding & teach a class on alternate weeks
• Be a casual teacher who is able to fill in if a regular teacher is not available, so the kids don’t miss out
• Serve another teacher by minding their children so they are free to teach
High School Scripture Board Member
Get together with like minded people from local churches & achieve great things for the Kingdom as a team by representing C3 Victory on a High School Board. High School Scripture Board Members play a vital role in co-ordinating events (fundraisers live movie nights, trivia, dinners etc), as well as facilitating and supporting Scripture Teachers within their school.
Support High School Board Fundraising events
Ensure High School students continue to hear the gospel by supporting the events run by local High School Scripture Boards. Contact us to receive more details about a variety of fun events that are happening throughout the year!
Practical Support / Administration
Be part of the behind the scenes and help facilitate this exciting work by joining our admin team and contributing to Scripture either from the church office or from home. Hours, days and times are all flexible.
Key Serving Opportunities:
- Receive regular prayer updates and pray regularly for the scripture team
- Become a Primary Scripture Teacher
- Represent C3 Victory on a high school SRE board
- Assist with administration for the scripture team (teaching documentation, email communication re: upcoming training and events etc.)
Contact Kate Rigby for more details firstname.lastname@example.org