Special Religious Education (SRE or Scripture)
Picture walking into a classroom full of children who have never heard about Jesus and taking a government-endorsed half hour to tell them all about Him! Scripture provides an excellent opportunity to take the living and active word of God to children throughout our city. As Jesus said in Matthew 9:37, the harvest is ready! Students are hungry and eager to hear God’s word!
SRE changes lives for eternity – here’s proof!
NSW is one of the few states in Australia with legislation that supports SRE. Schools are an open door to the gospel. A SRE Teacher is not just a teacher, but a government-endorsed evangelist! SRE also presents an excellent opportunity to connect with schools, children and whole families.
Research reinforces that ministry to children is an effective and powerful way to grow the Kingdom!
- Primary school children, those aged 5-12 years are NINE times more likely to accept Christ as their Saviour than people 12 years and above.
- 60 – 80% of all salvation decisions are made by children under the age of 15.
- 75% of adults in church today, responded to Jesus as a child
We have some fantastic Primary School SRE Teachers and High School Board Members already making an impact. However, there are approximately 6,000 Primary School and 6,500 High School students in the schools within 5km of our church building! We need to make the most of every opportunity (Colossians 4:5). There is still a huge need and many, many classes in Newcastle are without a SRE teacher. Let’s be faithful with this fantastic open door we have been given (Luke 16:10)!
If you feel stirred about reaching the next generation and influencing our city for the Kingdom of God through scripture, there are many different ways that you be involved!
See hearts softened, doors open and lives changed by praying for our SRE team, the children, their families & the teachers that they connect with each week. A prayer points resource is available so you can pray for specific areas. Contact us if you would like it emailed or posted to you.
Primary School SRE Teacher
Answer the prayer for more workers in the harvest by becoming a Primary School SRE Teacher and partnering with us in reaching local children and families with the good news of Jesus. We encourage our teachers to teach close to their home. Find out more here.
What’s involved in teaching SRE?
• It is a surprisingly simple process, you are provided with an easy to use curriculum including:- manual of lesson plans, CD of songs, ready to use power points and games plus activity books for the whole class. Each week you bring a different message from the Bible to these children.
• Our experienced SRE teachers or children’s ministry team are happy to help you with tips of how to keep the classes attention. The children you are reaching are so open to hearing the message you bring and so excited to see you!
• Support is provided through SRE team meetings and training throughout the year.
How do I get started?
1. Watch some classes in action with one of our C3 SRE teachers to see what it’s like!
2. Share this class with the teacher, prepare and teach part of the lesson
3. When you feel ready, you can teach your own class!
• Partner with another teacher, share child minding & teach a class on alternate weeks
• Be a casual teacher who is able to fill in if a regular teacher is not available, so the kids don’t miss out
• Serve another teacher by minding their children so they are free to teach
High School SRE Board Representative
Represent C3 and partner with others from local churches to support a SRE teacher in one of our local High Schools. High School Board Representatives are heroes because they make High School SRE possible and ensure that thousands of students across the Hunter continue to hear the gospel each week!
The wages for High School SRE Teachers are generated through donations from local churches and fundraisers run by Board Representatives. Fundraisers include a variety of events like movie nights, trivia, business breakfasts, desert nights, dinners and more! Another key role of the Board Representatives is to provide pastoral care for the SRE Teachers within their school.
If you have a heart for young people hearing the gospel and feel stirred to get involved, find our more here.
Support High School Board Fundraising events
Ensure High School students continue to hear the gospel by going along to some of the events run by local High School SRE Boards. Contact us to receive more details about a variety of fun events that are happening throughout the year!
Key Serving Opportunities:
- Receive regular prayer updates and pray regularly for the SRE team
- Become a Primary SRE Teacher
- Represent C3 Victory on a High School SRE board
Contact Kate Rigby for more details firstname.lastname@example.org